My wordless entry showed an image of Ruth Graham. I thought I would continue examining her wonderful life with my list of 13 things….
1. She was born in China. Her father was a doctor and her parents were medical missionaries.
2. Her paternal great-grandfather was Jewish.
3. John Charles Pollock wrote a biography of her father called A Foreign Devil in China
4. She went to high school in what is today North Korea before graduating here in the states in her parent’s hometown of Charlotte, North Carolina.
5. She grew up in a Presbyterian home and she remained one all her life even though her husband, Rev. Billy Graham was a Baptist.
6. She went to Wheaton College where she met Billy Graham. Later they were married.
7. Ruth Graham raised five children almost single-handedly as her husband was often away on evangelistic crusades.
8. Because of her background in China she encouraged her husband to visit China.
9. Ruth Graham was an author. Her first book was published in 1959 and was called Our Christmas Story.
10. She wrote or co-wrote 13 other books…..some were books of poetry.
11. She received the Congressional Gold Medal along with her husband in 1996.
12. She had chronic back pain dating back to 1974 when she fell from a swing she had made for her grandchildren. She was testing it.
13. Ruth Graham was buried in Montreat on the grounds of the Billy Graham library.
She will be missed!
This is my 7th week of 13
You can find other thirteeners HERE