Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wordless: Verse 56



These two images are titled Eve and Apple, with Counterpart. They were created by Giuseppe Arcimboldo in 1578.

I find the paintings be interesting but disturbing at the same time. These are very different than the usual religious artwork you see dating back to the late 1500s. Arcimboldo used objects such as fruits, vegetables, flowers, fish, and books to form portrait heads.

Are these the works of whimsy or the products of a deranged mind? ….Art critics have debated this for years. I’d say Arimboldo was definitely a man before his time….He was a Surrealist before the school was birthed by the likes of Salvador Dali.

You can see more of his work here.

You can discover other bloggers participating in Wordless Wednesday here.

5 comments:

Jamime said...

They are very striking images. I like them, though.

elementary historyteacher said...

I feel the same way. They bother me, yet I keep looking at them....

DNLee said...

Happy WW!

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Great art I'm sure but they are a little unsettling.

catsynth said...

Those are really interesting images, with the figures inside the heads.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...