Wednesday, March 26, 2008

13 Things the Bible Shares Concerning Angels

1. Angels were created by God:

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished

Colossians 1:16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.

2. Angels were created to live for eternity:

Luke 20:36 ...nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

Revelation 4:8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings.Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

3. Angels were present when God created the world:

Job 38:1-7 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said: "...Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? ...while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?"

4. Angels do not marry:

Matthew 22:30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

5. Angels are wise and intelligent:

2 Samuel 14:17 Your maidservant said, ‘The word of my lord the king will now be comforting; for as the angel of God, so is my lord the king in discerning good and evil. And may the LORD your God be with you.’

Daniel 9:21-22 ...while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice. He instructed me and said to me, "Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding."

6. Angels have knowledge of, and interest in, the affairs of men:

Daniel 10:14 "Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come."

Luke 15:10 "Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

7. Angels are faster than men:

Daniel 9:21 ... while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice.

Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel flying through the sky, carrying the eternal Good News to proclaim to the people who belong to this world—to every nation, tribe, language, and people.

8. Angels are spiritual beings:

Psalm 104:4 Who makes His angels spirits, His ministers a flame of fire.

Ephesians 3:10 ... to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places ...

9. Some angels are invisible:

Job 4:15-18 Then a spirit passed before my face; The hair on my body stood up. It stood still, But I could not discern its appearance. A form was before my eyes; There was silence; Then I heard a voice saying: ‘Can a mortal be more righteous than God? Can a man be more pure than his Maker? If He puts no trust in His servants, If He charges His angels with error ...

10. Angels are not meant to be worshipped:

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

11. Angels have a will:

Isaiah 14:12-14 How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High."

Jude 1:6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.

12. Angels are subject to Christ:

1 Peter 3:22 ... who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

13. Angels express emotions like joy and longing:

Job 38:7 ... while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

1 Peter 1:12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

The image with this post is one of Gustave Dore's illustrations for Dante's Divine Comedy titled Paradiso Canto 31

Catch other 13s here.

5 comments:

Denise Patrick said...

Very interesting post. A very different picture of angels than the common everyday usage.

Happy TT!

Susannah said...

I enjoyed this post, and plan to link to it in my own T-13 article on Lucifer later today!

Angels are certainly very real, but also quite myterious. Children seem most fascinated with the idea of angelic beings, don't they?

Blessings, e-Mom @ Chrysalis

jquiltmaker said...

Enjoyed this as well.

Toia said...

I love all the scripture references you used. Happy TT!

Check mine out - 13 Bible Scriptures I like to read.

DustyTrails said...

I was 16 and chasing our bull through my neighbor's pasture after a heavy rain the night before. We came to a V shaped gully and slid into it .. coming up the other side the horses back went under her and we were upside down and my mind was in a whirl.

Then, everything was still and we were hanging in the air about a foot off the ground. The horse and saddle were above me and the saddle horn was up against my chest .. and this voice very calmly said .. "Do you want to die?" I said no. "What can you do about it?" and I placed both hands on her neck and pushed off, placing only my left leg still in the saddle.

I woke up first, out on the flats. She was laying across my right leg knocked out. There were no tracks in or out because I looked, how did we get here by the road?

Angels don't leave foot prints even in soft mud.

I never "fit" in a church after that. They were guessing and hoping, I knew! Psa. 91 I shall place angels over thee least you dash your foot. God looks out for kids on the go.

Barukh atta Adoni!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...