1. There are 50 chapters.
2. The accepted author is Moses.
3. Genesis provides background regarding how everything began.
4. The word Genesis means “origin” or “beginning”. The English title is based on the name given by Greek translators.
5. The Greek name can be translated to mean “source” or “generation”.
6. The original title in Hebrew is Berephith and translates to “In the beginning”.
7. Genesis tells us how people were created and placed in a perfect environment.
8. Genesis also explains how sin began and how God would treat evil.
9. Want to know how nations began? Where language came from? How people divided work? The answers can all be found in Genesis.
10. God focuses on one family---Abraham’s and we learn how the Hebrew people began with stories including Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph.
11. Genesis reveals God’s glorious plan to build a kingdom of redeemed people.
12. The themes in Genesis are creation, death, flood, covenant, and providence.
13. Is Jesus mentioned in Genesis? Yes! When God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac (22:8) we see a substitute being offered in the form of a ram just as Jesus acted as our substitute.
The picture with this post is a page from Genesis from the 10th-11th Century A.D.
Visit the Thursday Thirteen site to participate!